by Judy Hubbard
BEETROOT, SALMON & MASCARPONE PATE 12 oz. mascarpone cheese 1 tablespoon lemon juice 2 oz. cooked beets, drained 5 oz. smoked salmon 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed ground pepper Put in Vitamin in order. Turn machine to Variable 1. Increase to Variable 5 15 seconds Chill Best consumed within 24 hrs.
by Mary Lee Stein
GREEN CHILE CHEESECAKE with PAPAYA SALSA
- For crust
- 1-1/2 cupes finely ground blue corn chips (from a 9-oz bag)
- 1 TB unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- For filling
- 8 fresh green chiles such as Anaheim or poblano
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sale
- For salsa
- 1 (1-lb) papaya, firm but ripe
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 medium finely chopped red onion
- 1 cored, seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make crust:
- (Put rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350)
- Stir together corn chip crumbs and butter in a bowl until evenly moistened. Press mixture onto bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Bake until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F
- Make filling:
- In a food processor blend sour cream and eggs. Add cream cheese and butter and blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in chiles, cheeses, dill, cilantro, and salt to taste. Pour filling over crust and bake in middle of oven 45 minutes, or until center is just set. Cool cheesecake completely in pan on a rack.
- Make salsa:
- Peel and seed papaya and coarsely chop (you will have about 2 cups). Stir together papaya with remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve cheesecake with salsa.
Chiles can be roasted and peeled up to one day ahead. Refrigerate, covered.
The Cheesecake can be made up to one day ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then refrigerate, covered, and bring to room temperature before serving.
by Dega Schembri
QUINOA-ADZUKI BEAN SALADIngredients:1 can of Adzuki beans, well rinsed in a strainer1 cup quinoa, rinsed (I use ¾ c white/regular and ¼ c red quinoa - it's prettier)1-1/4 cup water (or a mix of 1 c OJ or tangerine juice mix +1/4 c water)Generous pinch of saltGrated rind and juice of 1 tangerine or orange (I use this mainly for the dressing. Rind can be bitter, so I use it to taste, I don't always use all of the rind)1 tsp curry powder or Garam Nasala (I do a mix of the 2 if I have them both)1/3 c extra virgin olive oil1 tsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegarSalt to taste2 Tbsp golden raisins and currants or dried cranberries (I use ½ c golden raisins and 2 TB currants)2 carrots, peeled and diced1 small fresh zucchini diced2 scallions minced2 Tbsp minced parsley or more to taste2 Tbsp minced basil or more to taste¼ cup lightly toasted sliced or slivered almonds or pistachios or pine nutsPreparation:1. Bring water, half the tangerine juice and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.2. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork. Scoop it into a larger bowl.3. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, remaining tangerine juice, curry powder, olive oil and salt to taste. Drizzle over quinoa, tossing gently.4. Add adzuki beans, tangerine zest, raisins, carrots, zukes, scallions, parsley, basil, nuts and adjust seasonings as needed.
by Rebecca Milliken
3 pounds fresh or 2 packages frozen spinach, cooked and drained well
12 ounces small curd cottage cheese1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated2 eggs, beaten2 tablespoons flour4 tablespoons butter, meltedsalt, pepperPreheat oven - 300 degrees. grease 1-quart casseroleMix together all ingredients and put in casserole. Freeze at this point if you wishbake an hour ( longer if frozen).Easiest dish in the world!!!! My go-to comfort food and good side or even main course for a dinner.